Ulf S. Sighede from Ängelholm in the south of Sweden. The Walk is for me a modern form of pilgrimage and a time for contemplation. Periculum in mora

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Norway and Pledge

Hello,
My walk continous tomorrow, but I thought I get some thoughts written down before that, the time you have to think is infinite when you are out waalking like me, you are one with the nature. At the same time you have the whole world in your thoughts. One thing that I have decieded is that I would like to repay this experiance, that I'm greatful to be part of. Sometimes though in doubt and with efforts.
Ofcourse you are free to give comments, if you would like to, what I think is a good Idea, does not have to be the same for everyone else. I am rather greatful for all comments and ideas that are comming in, suggestions for improvement, yes, anything that can improve what I will do. During two periods in 2008, I will take two groups with youths, 1 with girls and 1 with boys, each group with 6-10 young adults. They shall come from all social levels and be in what I call a crisis, not yet outside of common norms, but on the way there, not yet criminal, but mayby in the wrong groups of "friends". How the selection will take place and the definitions will be worked on, when it comes to contact with social authorities or parents. During my walk I have met a number of people that would support or and help, all in one way or another been or still are involved with Young people.
The age groups is thought to be 14-17 years.
As the young people will come from all levels of society and ethnical belongings, there is no religious theme as such, although contact with the main religions will be established, Christianity, Islam etc. My thought was to have the Golden Rule as an umbrella for this arrangement. The golden rule is a corner stone in all religions. The groups will be guided by me on two walks along the Pilgrim path of S:t Olof, Selånger - Stiklestad. Each walk will take between 15-20 days and the lenght about 200-300 km. It will not be the same stretch for the girls and the boys and it can happen that we take the bus or the train from one part to another, further ahead, but the route will be a later decision. The thought is that these young people shall learn to, beside the experiance of nature, how important it is to trust others and help others, the most important part in order to get by when you are outdoors in a group. Beside that they get a natural break from their everyday life and time to think about how their future will be, socially, educational, work, family, etc
At more than one night we will have speakers come and explain from their experiances with young and old people who have lost grip and found themselves outside of the society, or mayby they where in the same siituation where these youngsters are now.The stayover at night, can be arranged with the people working with the pilgrim paths, I have spoken with a number of them during my walk and only positive comments have been heard, besides that the groups can be helpful in marking some stretches of the paths as well, some of them are really in need of improvements, in Sweden as well as in Norway.
There are still holes in my idea, but continously I see it a realizable plan, that really can give these young people a new chans.
In order to finance the project, I will act as mail man during the rest of my walk. I have created something that is called Pilgrim Post. The stretch Ängelholm Granada and any place between the cities I visit. Personally I will deliver the letters, all letters will get a circular seal:
Pilgrim PostNidaros - Santiago de CompostelaA.D. 2007
Date:
Seal
Besides that the receiver will remember the letter for ever, it can be of value for stamp collectors.
The cost will be 50 Euro as a donation.
If you are interested send me an email at sighede@gmail.com

Norway
An extra ordinary experiance!From the local shop owner in Sul who invited me for coffee, when we came down from the border crossing, to the girl in the petrol station in Halden who gave us water, short before the Swedish border.
Norway is a beautiful country, mountains, seas, forrest, musk ox and the Norweigans are nice, outdoor knowledgable, happy, helpful gutter o jänter. (Boys and Girls)Paddan and I have managed this part of the walk, much thanks to the help and support that we have received and met along the road.
Sharing is in their blod. That I have picked one story is in no way a grading, rather an example of the whole.
Stiklestad
After days of rain, the whole way from the border, we got closer to Stiklestad. The place where Olav and his men met their destiny and Norways first christian part was written. We where wet as if we came out of the washer, frozen and the doubt about making was shining in our eyes. Up hills with now end in sight, with the never stopping splashing of water in shoes and under paws. Even if it was only 7 km left, no choice tent has to go up in hill, where I try to find a plane spot. Bread and cheese, and some dog food for Adde. The sound of rain-drops against the roof of the tent. Cuddled togetherwe fell asleep.
Morning, centimeters of water in the lowest part of the tent, didn't find such a good space after all, hard to see when the glasses has no wipers, wet sleeping bag and two wet creatures. No choice than get up and away with one big question mark in my head - what do we find in Stiklestad?
We see the church, we see buildings, restored, like a village from times gone. A replica of a viking settlement, a big new complex with Hotel and Stiklestad National Center of Culture. I place Adde under a roof so he will get out of the rain for a while, goes to the reception, some strange looks from the guests, a bearded, wet pilgrim but the people in the reception are friendly and makes a phone call to see when someone from the Center will be there, in less than a hour, perfect. I get some coffee and Paddan is allowed to stay in the attendants office, his thank you is that he barks at everyone who whants to get in.
After a while Per Steinar Råen comes and after we have spoken a bit and I have explained who I am and what I do, there is no stop to the help I get. I can stay in the refuge for pilgrims, it still under repair, who had counted with pilgrims at this time... I can dry up my equipment, have a shower, and we can have good nights rest. The next day I will receive a guided tour in the church of Stiklestad, just the best and I feel how motivation and strength is coming back. This year is the 10:th anniversary and I get a lookin to the preparations of the Olsok play, My best wishes for this years play. That I got a special solo sung for me after the guided tour the next day and a blessing for the future walk will be in the book, magical moments that will be in my mind forever.
My experiance in Stiklestad, was a rehearsal for meetings to come in Trondheim, Lillehammer, Hamar, Rakkestad and so on.
I saw Adde in the top of the mid summer pole in Lillehammer, what it ment, you will find out in the book.
Thank you Norway, You have given me more than I can return.
Periculum in moraUlf
Mr Walker

No comments: