Ulf S. Sighede from Ängelholm in the south of Sweden. The Walk is for me a modern form of pilgrimage and a time for contemplation. Periculum in mora

Friday, September 29, 2006

I couldn´t walk another mile in my shoes.

This is not about me at all, it is about all of us that loves to be in Mother Nature, walking pilgriming or just taking a stroll.

With the blessing of the local priest in Ängelholm, my home town, it was time to get started on the so called test run (walk) up to Vadstena.

Following the Coast to Caost trail in direction Örkelljunga you will walk up to the ridge of Hallandsåsen and here you will be welcomed by the woodland that where the home to robbers, Snapphanar, giants and trolls many many years ago. You can still see where they lived.

Walking is easy and the morning dew that lasts to far in the afternoon soakes your shoes and feet - not a problem, we have had that before. The shoes can be dryed while we sare cooking dinner over the the open fire at the shelter by nightfall. Found some lovely chanterells by the side of the road, so it will be a mix of bacon and chanterelss for dinner tonight.

Solitude is the status along the trail but soon the village of Åsljunga will be in sight and I know for sure there is a small shop, Jonnys Livs, where you can buy some groceries. "Herr Boichel" is the owner. As he is a German you address him with Herr/ Mr, anything else would be impolite. He moved to Åsljunga a couple of years ago and we speak German as we talk about weather and other things, that people talk about when they meet as strangers. Herr Boichel is a nice guy, as I´m sitting on the bench outside of the his shop, he comes out and asks me if I would like to have a cup of freshly brewed coffee. How did he know that I love my coffee in the morning. Herr Boichel, you get a big gold star in my book. It is a pitty that these small shops are disappearing in favour of the big super markets. Quite sure, they wouldn´t invite me for a cup off coffee if I happend to pass by.

To be continued...

"The Golden Rule is what we do for the coming generations as well"

Take care and remember Periculum in mora

"Mr Walker"

No comments: